Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 1 Chino to Oakhurst

Well, today was a long one! The flight landed on time at 10:00 and I was at the warehouse to get my bike at 10:45. After signing the paperwork, I was driving out the door at 11:00 and on the road.

Hit some traffic on Hwy 71 trying to get out of the Chino area. Took 5 hours just to get up to Sequoia National Park. At the entrance, the park ranger told me that it was a 3 hour drive through the park not including any stops. 3 hours for 50 miles!!! I did not anticipate the elevation change to over 7000 feet. Anyway, I was up here and don't know when I'll be back, so I enjoyed it. The giant sequoias are unbelievable.

The temperature range today. Started out at 82 in Los Angeles and dropped to 49 in Sequoia National Park.

Started out at 11:00 AM and arrived at the hotel at 10:00 PM. Drove 410 miles today.

Friday is Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. I'll get an earlier start.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures John, looks like you are already having a great time! Long day Thursday, hope Yosemite and Tahoe are great. I always wanted to go to Tahoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW those trees are amazing. Can't imagine seeing them in person!

    ReplyDelete