Saturday, August 8, 2009

Day 3 Sacramento to Eureka, CA

Today was another beautiful California day. Headed out at 8:00 AM from Sacramento and it was a pleasant 74 degrees. As I headed into San Francisco, it started to get cooler. Had to pull over and put my jacket on as it headed into the 60's near the city.

Driving through the city was nice since it was a weekend. Almost went down Lombard (crookedest street in the world), but decided to head over the Golden Gate Bridge. The closer that I got to the bridge, the foggier it got.

In Sausalito, I caught Hwy 1 and headed towards Stinson Beach. It was foggy and I could barely see the beach. The sun was trying to burn off the fog, but I was in it for about an hour. I finally got a clear view of the Pacific in Bodega Bay.

For those of you that may not know, the "Pacific Coast Highway" (Hwy 1) is a bit of a misnomer. It is near the Pacific (only really true thing), sometimes by the coast, but many times not and truly not a highway with the average speed about 35-40. However, it is a beautiful drive and I would recommend it to anyone.

I was really surprised by the drive from Ft Bragg to Leggett where Hwy 1 connects to Hwy 101. It was a very nice ride through the redwoods with many curves that are great for a motorcycle (Rob B. it rivals the "Tail of the Dragon"). Saw an interesting site along this section of roadway. There was a man sitting in a wheelchair along the side of the road waving to everyone. I smelled a hint of marijuana as I passed by him. I'm sure that he was using it for medicinal purposes, I mean hey...we are in California by the way!!!

The rest of the day was more inland on Hwy 101 through the redwoods. The Avenue of the Giants is a great detour off of Hwy 101.

Ended the day with a beautiful Pacific sunset.

Temps today ranged from 74 in Sacramento to 60 along the coast to 82 inland.
Traveled 423 miles today.
Sunday is heading north over the Oregon border and then over to Crater Lake, then back to the Oregon coast and Coos Bay.

Tallyho

No comments:

Post a Comment