Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 6 Hood River, OR to Chilliwack Canada

The day started out promising. Looked like the weather was clearing out and was 66 degrees. The more I drove, the thicker the fog and clouds got. As I approached Mt St Helens, I had to pull over and put my rain gear on. As I was driving to Windy Ridge, you could see the first sign of the devastation about 10 miles from the ridge. It started raining pretty hard and I almost turned around, but though what the heck, I've come this far. I continued on and the clouds cleared a bit. You still could not see the top of what's left of Mt St Helens, but you could see most of where the mud flow was. I did not know that the eruption was caused by an earthquake. The earthquake caused the north side of the mountain to slid away and this released the pressure from the mountain.

I then headed on to Mt Rainier (notice the "rain" in the name). I didn't see any of the mountain. I was in the fog, mist, rain, clouds, sun, more rain, above the clouds, in the clouds, below the clouds most of the time. I was in inclement weather for 5-6 hours.

It dried up as I got closer to Seattle. The drive up into Canada was very nice and it was 80 degrees when I got here.

Hopefully that's the last of the rain.

I wish that I had paid better attention when they were trying to teach us the metric system (remember the US was going to convert in the 70's). Anyway, it's going to be 24 degrees tomorrow and that sounds cold to me, but it;s supposed to be nice and how high is 4.08 meters...that was the height on a bridge. My exit was 1200 meters away, what the heck does that mean and finally, the speedometer on the motorcycle is only in M.P.H, so it will be fun to figure out what the K.P.H. equivalent is.

Tomorrow is a "just getting there" day. It is the only day where I will be on the same highway (Trans Canada 1) for the entire day. Chilliwack to Revelstoke

Today's miles - 385 for a total of 2461

No comments:

Post a Comment