Thursday, October 6, 2011

East Coast Trip Day 1 – Dallas to Washington DC to Gettysburg

We’ll, the day started out well and ended well with a little bump in the middle.

The flight left a few minutes early and landed at Dulles early (that doesn’t happen often). The cab ride to the shipper was about 15 minutes and $15. They had my bike ready to go and I was on the rode in about 20 minutes. That’s when the bump happened. When you ship the bike, they want to to have minimal gas in the tank. Well, I pushed that a bit too much I guess. I ran out of gas less than a mile from the shipper and about a mile from the nearest gas station. I’m glad that my Harley Owners Group dues were up to date. It only cost me $11 for the gas and 2 hours of wait time. However, 3 different guys (all bikers) stopped and asked if they could help and chatted for a while, so the time went by pretty quickly. Note to self…next time you ship the bike, leave more gas in the tank.

With the gas issue, it was a good thing that today was a light travel day. It was only about 70 miles from Washington DC up here and I drove around the town of Gettysburg and through a portion of Gettysburg National Military Park for and addition 32 miles for a total of 102 miles today.
I guess that I should have done a bit more research for this area.

I did not realize that the “tour” of the battlefield is actually 24 miles all aroung the town of Gettysburg. I started at the visitors center to get a map and talked to a ranger to see the best route. I actually stopped at the Soldier’s National Cemetary first, this is where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address on November 19th 1863. It was cool standing there trying to visualize that event. I then stopped at the “High Water Mark” area where the battle ended On July 3rd 1863. Over 23,000 Union soldiers and 28,000 Confederate solders lost their lives in 3 days of fighting. My last stop was McPherson Ridge where the battle started on July 1st 1863. There is so much history up here, it is almost unbelievable.

Haven’t seen much color in the leaves yet, just a few trees. I head further north tomorrow and will have a less historic day. I plan on visiting Paul Sr and Paul Jr of Orange County Choppes and Paul Jr Designs.
I am having some issues uploading pictures, so I will try to figure that out tomorrow.

That’s all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment