Saturday, October 15, 2011

East Coast Trip Day 10 – Asheville, NC to Roanoke, VA

What a spectacular day, it couldn’t have been much better!!!! It was a bit chilly to start. The day started at 45 degrees. The hotel was only 2 miles from the entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway, so it took no time to get going.

The BR Parkway is a fantastic 469 mile road that crests the southern Appalachians and the Great Smokey Mountains. It is a very smooth 2 lane road with a 45 mph limit that I obeyed for the most part. It is a great “motorcycle” road with many twists and turns, curves, both gentle and tight. You have to pay attention the whole time that you are on the parkway since there are many pull-offs and scenic overlooks in which cars are pulling in and out of. However, there were a lot of “leaf peepers” today that were only going 30ish, so when I got around them, I had to make up some time…if you know what I mean.

It seemed that with every turn, there was another unbelievable view. I pulled over many times in the first hour, but soon figured out that it would take me 12 hours to get up here to Roanoke, so I only pulled over when there was something spectacular.

Again, the morning and evening light really brought out the colors of the leaves. I am looking forward to completing the Blue Ridge Parkway tomorrow. I have about 120 miles left of the BR Parkway and will then finish the day with 105 miles on “Skyline Drive” through the Shenandoah National Park.

Daily overview, it started out at 45 degrees, warmed up to 50, then fell to 38 along the upper ridges of the parkway and settled in the mid to upper 50’s for most of the day. Good thing I had the heated long johns, it kept me toasty!!! Drove 285 miles today for a total of 2593 so far on this trip.

Tomorrow is my last day of the trip so to speak. I will have a few hours Monday morning before I have to drop the bike off and fly back home. More curves, twists and turns.

That’s all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment