Sunday, October 9, 2011

East Coast Trip Day 4 – Lake Placid, NY to Portland, ME

OK, I thought that yesterday was a beautiful day, but today surpassed it by a mile. They set record highs all over the northeast today. It was 15-20 degrees warmer than the normal highs. The high here in Portland, Maine was 85!!!!

Not only were the temperatures great, the colors of the trees were amazing. The morning and evening sun really acentuate the colors. The midday sun seems to wash out the color a bit, but it is still beautiful. For you facebook friends, I will post more pictures once I get back.

I grossly underestimated today’s travel time. Only went 342 miles today (for a trip total of 1064), but with the stops at the covered bridges, traffic everywhere due to EVERY northeasterner wanting to get out and enjoy this weather, the holiday weekend (forgot about that) and various festivals in almost every town, it took 13 ½ hours. Started at 8:30AM this morning and rolled into my hotel at 10:00PM tonight. I stopped for lunch and dinner and the locals would see the Harley Owners Patch showing that I was from Texas and they all wanted to know did I drive all the way up here.
Also, Stowe, VT was crazy. It is maybe 5 miles from the north part of the town to the south end…it took me an hour and a half to get through town. Oh well, could have been worse, like colder and wetter, but with today’s weather, the time went by pretty quickly.

BTW, a guy rolled up here on his BMW bike and he left California the middle of September and will be on the road for another 6 weeks…obviously retired!!!

That’s all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment