Friday, October 14, 2011

East Coast Trip Day 9 – Virginia Beach, VA to Asheville, NC

Headed out of Virginia Beach under partly cloudy skies and 66 degrees this morning. Virginia Beach is a great place to watch Navy aircraft. It is the home of Oceana Naval Air Station. When I checked it last night, multiple aircraft were “chasing” each other over the Atlantic. When I was getting gas this morning, at least 30 aircraft flew overhead towards the base, it was pretty cool, especially since my dad was a Navy pilot.

As I said yesterday, today was a “just get there” day. Took Hwy 58 from the hotel for 135 miles until I hit the interstate and then it was 75-80 mph for 300 more miles all the way here to Asheville. Nothing exciting, but fairly quick.

Today was very windy, a cold front was moving in. It stayed about 70 degrees the entire day. Also drove into a sustained 20 mph headwind gusting to 40 mph winds all day. I was glad to finally get here today.

As much as I enjoyed the brilliant colors further north, it was good to get “back in the south” today. The colors are nice here as well and I expect to see some very nice colors along the Blue Ridge Parkway on Saturday and Sunday. Let me explain some of the things that I like about the south. Highway exit numbers correspond with mile markers. If you are at mile marker 128 and you need to exit at 134, you have 6 miles to travel, real simple and easy to figure out. In New York (especially) and most northern states, the exit numbers are simply sequential. If you just past exit “22” and you need to take exit “24”, it might be 18 miles!!!! Also, I said the same thing last November when I was here. You can’t beat a Southern woman and that southern charm!!!! I stopped in Winston-Salem for lunch and to gas up and it was so nice to “people watch”, plus several people were interested in the story of the chicken. A couple of ladies got their picture taken with the chicken.

Daily overview, it started out at 66 degrees, warmed up to 78, then fell to 70 for most of the day. Drove 435 miles today for a total of 2308.
Tomorrow is a “crusin” day up the Blue Ridge Parkway. A lot of curves, twists and turns.

That’s all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment