Monday, October 10, 2011

East Coast Trip Day 5 – Portland, ME to Boston, MA

Today was a nice relaxing day. Only drove 133 miles (for a total of 1197). Just for comparison, last year after day 5, Michael and I had travelled 2167 miles!!!!

It was another warm day today. I didn’t wear any “cold weather” gear today except for a long sleeve t-shirt and my leather vest. The high here in Boston was 85.

Slept in a bit this morning, changed my headlight (low beam had burned out and I always bring a spare) then hit the road at 10:00AM. Headed into downtown Portland, Maine and headed towards the coastline.

I spent most of the day taking Hwy 1 or 1A down here towards Boston. It’s a slow drive, but absolutely gorgeous if you enjoy seaside towns. It was funny to see so many “summer” businesses that were closed, that could have made a mint if they had been open today. There were also a lot of rental houses if anyone wants to move up here during the weather.

Stopped to see a nice lighthouse “Cape Neddick Lighthouse” that was on a small island. There was a gondola that connected the mainland to the island, but it was closed to the public. Headed down to Long Sands beach near York, ME and spent a couple of hours enjoying the beach and the ocean.
Still seeing quite a bit of color here. I was not expecting it so much near the coastline yet.

I didn’t go into downtown Boston this evening. When I was checking into the hotel, the news was on and there were hundreds of “Occupy Boston” protesters marching and blocking the streets. It is an offshoot of the “Occupy Wallstreet” group. I could see 3 news helicopters hovering over downtown, so I decided to stay put tonight.

I may not post tomorrow. I am heading down to stay with my hockey bud and his family in Connecticut tomorrow and we are going to head into New York City. If I don’t post, I will make up for it on Wednesday!!!

Looks like I will have one more great day of weather tomorrow, before it turns a bit more seasonal (and maybe rainy on Wednesday).

That’s all for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment