Sunday, October 16, 2011

East Coast Trip Day 11 “The Last Day”– Roanoke, VA to Sterling, VA (Washington DC)

Another spectacular day for a motorcycle ride. Got rolling about 9:00 AM to a fairly cool morning. It was 56 degrees to start, but the sun was shining brightly. The temps stayed in the upper 60’s for most of the day.

I had 120 miles remaining on the Blue Ridge Parkway and it seemed to go pretty quickly, even with the stops to take some pictures. It was more crowded today versus yesterday. There were more people getting out and enjoying the weather before it gets too cold to do so. After I finished the BR Parkway, I had to take a 20 mile detour to get gas and some lunch. There are no gas facilities on the Parkway and only a couple of lodges that were packed to the gills with people. After lunch, I started up “Skyline Drive” in the Shenandoah National Forest. It was 105 miles and went slower as the speed limit was 35mph. That wouldn’t have been too bad except that there were many that were only going 25-30 and I had to pass several. Unfortunately, I saw a motorcycle accident scene. They were loading the guy on a stretcher as I passed, and he was talking, so hopefully it wasn’t too bad.

I hope that the GoPro camera captured some of the sites that I got to see. As I stated in an earlier post, I hope to put some more pictures on facebook after I get to review them at home on a larger screen. The camera took 2658 pictures alone today and it is hard to review on a 10” screen. If it missed the shots, I still have them in my memory (as long as it lasts!!!!). I would go around a curve and see an unbelievable grove of trees, but there was no place to safely pull over to get a picture.

Couldn’t think of a better way to end my day than with my friends Larry and Gail, their kids Bailey (a high school freshman) and Garrett (in the 6th grade). Gail grilled a wonderful dinner that we enjoyed with her friend Beth who was visiting from Boston.

Daily overview, drove 326 miles today for a total of 2919 for this year’s trip.

Going to sleep in a bit, then figure out what I want to take back on the plane with me and what I want to ship back with the bike. Have a 3:55 flight back to Dallas that will arrive a little after 6:00. Won’t have any “vacation” laundry to do for a couple of weeks when the bike gets back.

Well, I hope that you have enjoyed the posts and the few pics that I put up. Next year, thinking of going back to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, but that could change.

That’s all for this trip!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment